Here in our part of Louisiana, Mandeville Chiropractors treats all kinds of pain, including the growing problem of sciatica. This is a common problem among office workers and it affects the sciatic nerve, a large nerve extending from the lower spine down the back of each leg. The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body and it travels from nerve roots in the lumbar spinal cord in the low back area and extends through the buttock to send nerve endings down the lower limb.
Common symptoms of sciatica include:
- Pain in the low back to behind the thigh and radiating down below the knee
- A burning sensation or tingling down the leg
- Weakness, numbness, or difficulty moving the leg or foot
- Pain radiating around the hip or buttock
- Constant pain on one side of the rear of the leg that is worse when sitting
- Shooting pain that makes it difficult to stand up or walk
Potential causes of sciatica include:
- A lumbar herniated disc directly pressing on the nerve
- A misaligned lower spine
- A slipped disc or pinched nerve
- Irritation of the sciatic nerve during pregnancy
Factors that may make the pain worse:
- Being overweight
- Not exercising regularly
- Wearing heals or shoes with little support
- Sleeping on a mattress that is too soft
The above information is very important in helping identify this type of pain. If you sit for hours during the day and suspect the issue is sciatica, do not wait until the pain becomes unmanageable and unbearable. Delaying treatment can often cause long-term damage to your sciatic nerve. This injury is very serious if left untreated. We perform the correct chiropractic treatments for sciatica that are designed to produce noticeable positive results.
Our friendly and knowledgeable staff of chiropractors will perform a thorough exam and take a detailed medical history to determine the cause of your condition. Our team will design a personalized treatment regimen tailored to your unique chiropractic needs. Our goal is to get you on the path to pain relief and recovery, so it is important to schedule your appointment with Integrated Spine & Disc, conveniently located in Mandeville, LA.
The information contained in this blog article is intended solely for informational purposes and is not intended to be offered as medical advice.